Friday, September 30, 2011

On the Needles -- A Trio of Scarves

Scarf #1 is my own design.  Earlier this year, I designed a simple scarf to use the combination of two yarns by Filatura di Crosa that I read about in Clara Parkes' Knitter's Review.  She raved about the results of knitting with one strand each of Superior (70% cashmere, 30% silk) and Nirvana (100% merino).  I bought the two lace weight yarns in black, and after a bit of trial and error, I created a scarf that looks almost as nice as it feels.

I thought that I would like to make another in a completely different yarn.  I am using Malabrigo Sock Yarn (100% merino) in the "Indiecita" colorway.  I love how all of the colors play out over the basket-weave pattern.


Scarf #2 is a charity knit.  I am using my contest winning Love & Prayers Scarf pattern to create a scarf to donate to my local Womenheart group.  I am blessed to have a supportive group of knitters at Gosh Yarn It! participating in a KAL with me.  Our local Womenheart coordinator has told me how much these scarves mean to the women who receive them.  The yarn we are using is Brown Sheep Lanaloft Sport in "Cherrry Splash".


 Scarf #3 is actually a cowl.  It is a very long loop, which to me is scarf-like.  The pattern is Thundercloud Cowl by Snowden Becker.  I am using Schulana Kid-Seta Melange in "Pale Pink/Grey".  I bought the yarn to make a Wisp for my daughter, but I started it and did not like it.  I am liking the Thundercloud more.  The beads are a subtle "gold lined grey/brown".  


Scarf #1 is slow, but the pattern is rather easy.  Scarf #2 is fast (I totally have the pattern memorized) and fun, but I am working on it at a pace to stay just a bit ahead of my charity knitting friends.  Scarf #3 is not very far along, and will not get too much of my time for now.  It is challenging.  I do not have the pattern memorized and must check every row.

No comments:

Post a Comment