Saturday, September 3, 2011

What's New? Fingering Weight TATU!


What's new?

I released my first pattern for sale at my Ravelry store.



















My Fingering Weight TATU (Try A Toe Up) Sock pattern is available for $5.50.  This pattern was months (actually years) in the making.

I wrote my original TATU sock pattern in 2009 for teaching a class on toe-up socks.  When I opened my Ravelry store, February 5th of this year, it was one of two patterns that I offered for free.  It was downloaded more that 400 times by the end of March.  After that I stopped tallying.  (You see, Ravelry does not provide totals on free patterns...something about the fact that there is no way to know how many times a single person downloaded a particular pattern.  To get a total, you have to add the numbers per each date.  On almost every day since February 5, Ravelers have downloaded one or both of my free patterns.  People like free.)

The original pattern has only a women's size and was written for sport weight sock yarn.  A knitting student of mine, named Sally, very much liked the original pattern and encouraged me to write one for fingering weight yarn.  Sally said, "I have lots of sock yarn and most of it is fingering weight."  I thought, "There are many knitters who could say the same thing."  Sally also said, "I have made many toe-up socks, but I like yours the best." (See what I mean about encouraging.)

I decided early on that if I was going to calculate some new numbers, I should offer the pattern in more than one size.  The Fingering Weight TATU Sock pattern includes Child's Medium, Child's Large, Women's and Men's sizes.  I created one additional cuff choice.  This pattern has been knit in all sizes, and with various cuffs, by six test knitters and myself.  I knit all four of the socks in the photo.

I have put a lot of time in on this pattern going back as far as 2009.  It is a good pattern.  But it is not free.


No comments:

Post a Comment