Sunday, June 3, 2012

Marie and Veronik, Part 2


 

Please refer back to "Marie and Veronik, Part 1" if you have not seen it.

In Part 1, I said, "This blog entry will cover Marie and my next blog entry will cover Veronik."

I actually met Veronik on January 23, 2010.  It was at a yarn shop named Loop in Philadelphia.  She was there with her trunk show which included each and every garment from the premier issue of her St-Denis magazine.  All of the garments were made with the premier yarn from St-Denis, the sport weight Nordique (100% wool).

Here are the first two sentences from her "about the designer page" at her St-Denis website: "Veronik Avery is the owner of St-Denis Yarns and the author of 'Knitting Classic Style and Knitting 24/7 (both published by STC). Her work has appeared in the books Weekend Knittting, Handknit Holidays, Wrap Style, Lace Style, Bag Style, Color Style, Simple Style and Knitting Socks with Hand Painted Yarns, the magazines Interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting and Woman's Day, and on the online site Knitty."

I chatted with Veronik about her work with "the mill" on the development of Nordique yarn, and a bit about teaching and colorwork.  She autographed my St-Denis magazine.  I bought two skeins of Nordique to make a Porcupine Hat.

Pattern:  Porcupine Hat by Veronik Avery
Yarn: St-Denis Nordique
1 skein Pewter, 1 skein Silver
 
This hat became my Ravelympics project for the 2010 Winter Olympics.  I think of this hat photo as a "Porcupine in a Pine Tree".


One day after I learned that I would be in Philadelphia on the day of the trunk show, I cast on Veronik's hugely popular Lace Ribbon Scarf from Knitty: Spring 2008.  (I carried it with me in a small project bag when I went to Loop.)  I used a skein of Malabrigo Yarn Sock which I bought at Stitches East when it was first released.

Pattern:  Lace Ribbon Scarf by Veronik Avery
Yarn: Malabrigo Yarn Sock
1 skein Cote de Azure
 
I love most of Veronik's designs and I am sure that I will be making more of them in the future.  Her designs are unique, modern and very wearable.  Her pattern instructions are clear with a lot of detail.  Veronik was lovely in person.  I am honored to have once had a knitting chat with her :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment