I decided to start this project with a loose sort of commitment…
I named it “Linen Top (Swatch)”. I did not wish to make a swatch and block it, so I considered the first rectangle to be my swatch.
After blocking it measured 21.5” wide and 16” long (too short). I was thinking of picking up stitches around the bottom and knitting added length. I did buy a second skein of the yarn at GYI!. By the end of last summer, I completed the second rectangle and the seaming.
I worked on a crocheted edging with a size I hook. Size I (5.5 mm) was my first hook choice because the knitting needles I used had been the same diameter, US size 9 (5.5 mm). The crocheting was much too loose. I had to rip it all away. I soon was transitioning into fall knitting, and this project was put away with the thought that I should try again in the spring with a smaller hook.
Last month, I began to re-do the crochet edging with a size E (3.5 mm) hook. It went quite well with only a few adjustments along the way. I finished crocheting on a plane shortly before landing on St Thomas, USVI. I wore the top to dinner on my last night there.
My project has been renamed “Linen Top with Crochet Edgings”. I am quite pleased with the finished garment.