Thursday, February 9, 2012

Which Was It?

What did Abe really say?

Was it this?
"The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll get me a book I ain't read."  ~ Abraham Lincoln, Finest Quotes

Or was it this?
“The things I want to know are in books. My best friend is the man who'll get me a book I haven't read.”  ~ Abraham Lincoln, goodreads

Maybe it really was this.
"Denny, the things I want to know is in books. My best friend’s the man who’ll get me one.”  ~Abraham Lincoln, evidenceanecdotal

This last link is to a blog that indicates that the quote comes as a recollection from Abraham Lincoln's older cousin, Dennis Friends Hank, when he was 90 years old.  They both loved books.

1 comment:

  1. I always think ask 2 people to recall something and you will have 2 different stories - LOL - apparently you just need to ask one to get three versions!

    ReplyDelete