Saturday, August 2, 2014

Something's Coming...

Something Good (is still in my cupboard)...


I will be spending a lot of time this weekend completing all of the remaining finishing touches on one (or two, or maybe all three) of my first indie designer knitting patterns in quite some time.  These have been in the works for just over a year now.  (God bless my test knitters for their patience!)

I have been lucky enough to have had a small handful of designs accepted for publication in magazines.  A couple of times I have won design contests.  And then there were even some designs picked up by yarn sellers.

Every one of those designs felt like a win (because there was a submissions call with some competition, and I did get selected).  And, every one of those designs was really so much easier to see through than these indie designs.

You see, all of those knitting pattern design "wins" were tech-edited, styled, modeled, photographed and formatted by others who were true professionals.  I just had to design and then knit (with free yarn).

With my indie design patterns...  It does take so much longer... I do not have to do it all, but I do have to actually hire and coordinate others...

Two different tech editors, one model/stylist, four test knitters (God bless you for your patience!) and one very special photography assistant... 

After all of that...

I am the designer, and I must still work on the final formatting.

My father's mother informed me when I was very young that I am a perfectionist...  Grandma S was right...  It always takes me a lot of time and effort to struggle to be not-quite-perfect, but as close as I can get.

This is finally about to happen.  I must get back to work.

Thanks for reading! 

2 comments:

  1. From what I can see, these look like great designs!
    After looking at this pic, I find I'm suffering "dish envy." Beautiful pottery and the pattern on the middle knit resembles the dish....lovely blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Can't wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete