Tuesday, February 2, 2016

A Straightforward Zipper Insertion -- The Pinning


One of the reasons it has taken me so very long to complete my Everyday Sweater zipper insertion is because I wanted to take some photos of the process and maybe even write a tutorial on it.

It has become obvious that this is NOT a sweater that will allow me show you 'everything you need to know' about inserting a zipper of your own.  This is one of the most straightforward zipper insertions that I have ever come across.

The applied i-cord edging all around the the piece (after blocking) has already made the corners as finished looking as can be.  My purchased zipper is a perfect length (requires no shortening) and the navy color was easily matched.  I will stitch the zipper in place by hand (as I do for most knitted garment zippers)... but I will not have to worry about how the stitches will look because... (1) The navy thread will also match perfectly making the stitches less visible, even on the wrong side, (something I can get fussy about)... (2) On the right side, the "well" where the I-cord is attached will perfectly both locate and hide the stitch line.

ALL ZIPPER INSERTIONS DEPEND ON DOING A GOOD JOB OF PINNING AND/OR BASTING.

OK, that truly is a #1 BIG something that really is a part of 'everything you need to know' about inserting a zipper of your own.

I have carefully pinned the zipper in place.  Starting with the top and bottom...


and then pinning in between.  A cardboard backed tablet helped me keep the pins through just the front layer.



I folded the top edges of the zipper tape at an angle to match the start of the v neckline.

  
Note:  Because of the i-cord, the knitted edges will meet at the center of the zipper covering the teeth.  For most sweaters with zippers, the edges cover only the zipper tape leaving the teeth exposed.

(IT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE THAT) EVERY ZIPPER INSERTION TURNS OUT TO BE UNIQUE IN ITS OWN WAY.

And that is a #2 BIG something that really is a part of 'everything you need to know' about inserting a zipper of your own.

Photos of the hand-stitching will appear in my next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment