Friday, August 16, 2013

A Preface: Stranded Colorwork Tutorial

This tutorial has been a long time in coming.  The photos were taken in August of 2011.  I had just designed a herringbone and split chevron reversible cowl, and I wanted to put together an instructional handout for teaching a "Two-Handed Stranded Colorwork Class" using my new pattern.

I taught the class.  Later I renamed the pattern "Equilibrium" and submitted it to Interweave Press for Knitscene Accessories 2012, where it was accepted(!), which you can read about here.

But I never did get that tutorial together.  I want to need to (and, yes there is a reason for this need) give it a shot now even though I am thinking that the two year old photos may not be as good as I once thought them to be.

The topic is "Two-Handed Stranded Colorwork" which is really a lot to say at one time.  You should know that most stranded colorwork, also referred to by some as, "Fair Isle", involves working rows with two, and no more than two, colors at a time.

At some point in the history of this kind of knitting, someone thought that it might be a good idea to work with the two strands of yarn with one hand holding each color. 

Here is how you might hold the work on a two color row.
















The actual "Two-Handed Stranded Colorwork Tutorial" (without a preface) will be my very next post.  It will begin with this photo.  Look for it in a day or two.

  

1 comment: