Monday, November 26, 2012

A Bit of a Disappointment

I believe that this has become the longest break in my blogging historyHaving posted only three times in November, I am going to see if I can kind of "catch up" for the month.

The real reason that I have not been posting is due to my sad, sad knitting.  I count on my knitting to make me happy... it usually cheers me daily.  This has not been the case in November... in fact my knitting has been making me sad. 


In September I made a commitment to a yarn company to complete a pattern and a sample for a sweater vest.  I experienced many difficulties with this particular project.  The proposed vest had large all-over cables with a central eyelet double-cable.  I did not appreciate how difficult it would be to size (or 'grade') a design with all-over 12 stitch wide x 28 row cables, and a 30 stitch wide x 56 row central cable.  I spent many hours knitting and revising and pattern writing and re-writing.

As the proposed completion date approached, I knew that I might be able to finish, but only if I grouped the sizes like: XS/S, M/L and XL/XXL.  But what was becoming gradually more and more apparent was that much of the sections involving shaping had to be written out row-by-row.  Even worse, I knew that with every re-write there was added potential for pattern errors.  I knew that this would never be a pattern that I would be happy to put out there with my name on it.

I emailed the yarn company last week, explaining not only my difficulties, but also how much I had learned in the process.  I now have permission to redesign the vest with an extended timeline.  I am determined to see this through.  It has been a disappointment, but I am now relieved and grateful for a second chance.  (When this project is finally on track, I will let you know more.)
          

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you learned a lot but how frustrating. Looking forward to seeing another beautiful pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always say we learn something new every day, it's how we keep growing. Can't wait to see the pattern when it's ready. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cmm & Linda!
      I am swatching smaller scale cables now... so far, so good...

      Delete
  3. I am a bit behind on reading my blogs.

    Sorry to hear about the problems of creating this design. Just proves that this whole design thing IS NOT a walk in the park. It is hard work. I am sure you will do a great job when you reach the end.

    ReplyDelete